Re: gEDA-user: Heavy Symbols and such

How?

My initial thought is something that builds a heavy library from a
light one:

Input: light/*.sym
       light/*.fp

mapping table:
  sym | value | device | pinmap | newsym | other-attrs
  fp  | value | device | pinmap | newfp  | other-attrs

Output: heavy/*.sym
        heavy/*.fp

We need to be able to not only decide which light symbols/footprints
to use, but also how to map the light pin numbers to the heavy ones.
Ideally, the light/heavy symbols could co-exist, allowing parts to be
"enlightened" (converted from heavy back to light) in order to switch
parts, assuming the entities know what they "are".  This should also
allow footprint switches without messing up pin numbers.

The tricky part is coming up with a clever database schema so that we
can share lots of commonality among part families, while allowing the
special cases.  Some sort of multi-field wildcard system, I suppose,
using manufacturer part numbers (either some family name like 7404, or
common name like 1N4001) for "device", and including
manufacturer/partno columns.

The dull boring part is filling in all that information.

So, one clever perl script, and one giant SQL database, and we're
done!