Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB

Hello,

I'm reading your discussion about heavy symbols and parts database for
many days now. I have a strong feeling from the begining of it that what
you might need is something else than a relational database.

Maybe you know RDF (Resource Description Framework). One succeful use of
it can be found in LADSPA (Linux Audio Developer Simple Plugin API).
They use RDF to describe the type of processing plugin, their audio
inputs/ouputs and different characteristics.

I think that could be used to describe families of components, families
of symbols, families of footprints and how they relate one to another.

This has many advantages. The main one I can see as is making footprint
distribution, sharing and search an easy task. Imagine all the John
Luciani's footprints along with RDF descriptions. If everybody
distribute an RDF file on their website describing their footprints and
footprints generation script, we could have a truly searchable central
repository (on say gedasymbols.org).

Let's take a quick example (I don't say that would be the final schema
just a quick example) I'll use RDF Turtle syntax to write the RDF
descriptions as this is really human readable.

The first three descriptions can be read as (let me ommit URIs for
clarity) :
- - 1N4148 is a diode with package SOD27.
- - SOD27 is a package with reference codes DO-35, A24, SC-40 and
trough-hole mounting.
- - DO-35.fp is a footprint for package SOD23 in PCB file format.

Thanks for reading that long post.
Best regards, Didier.

[snippet]

@prefix sym: <http://geda.seul.org/symbol#> .
@prefix fp: <http://geda.seul.org/footprint#> .
@prefix c: <http://gedasymbols.org/component#> .

# A simple example

<http://partsdb.org/parts/generic#1N4148> a c:Diode ;
    c:description "High speed diode" ;
    c:package <http://partsdb.org/packages/generic#SOD27> .

<http://partsdb.org/packages/generic#SOD27> a c:Package ;
    c:description
        "Hermetically sealed glass package; axial leaded; 2 leads" ;
    c:referenceCode <http://www.jedec.org/#DO-35> ,
        <http://www.iec.ch/#A24> ,
        <http://www.jeita.or.jp/#SC-40> ;
    c:mounting c:TroughHole .

<http://gedasymbols.org/footprints/DO-35.fp> a fp:Footprint ;
    fp:forPackage <http://partsdb.org/packages/generic#SOD27> ;
    fp:fileFormat <http://pcb.sourceforge.net/> .

# A more complex example

<http://partsdb.org/parts/CTS#745C101103J> a c:BussedResistorArray ;
    c:description "Thick film chip resistor array - 8 x 10K 5%" ;
    c:resistorCount 8 ;
    c:resistorValue 10000 ;
    c:resistorTolerance 5 ;
    c:package <http://partsdb.org/packages/CTS#745C101> .

<http://partsdb.org/packages/CTS#745C101> a c:Package ;
    c:description "Thick film chip resistor array - 8 Resistors" ;
    c:terminalPattern [
        c:terminalCount 10 ;
        c:commonTerminals ( 5, 10 ) ;
        c:swappableTerminals ( 5, 10 ) ;
        c:swappableTerminals ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 ) ;
    ] .

<http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-footprints/RESCAV_10N__CTS_745C101-Series.fp>
    a fp:Footprint ;
    fp:forPackage <http://partsdb.org/packages/CTS#745C101> ;