Re: gEDA-user: Heavy Symbols and such

Dan McMahill wrote:
> Steve Meier wrote:
>> There would be a ten million part library for resisters if you rrestrict
>> yourself to a flat file format that limits the expression of the data so
>> that it can't capture "natural regularities of that universe of components "
>

> well, the way I often times see this handled in big companies is there
> are internal part numbers.

Big companies, small companies, and me myself in my garage.  Having been
pickled in that process over the years, I've come to see it's value.  I
made myself a small mySQL database that cross-references "my" part
number to manufacturer part numbers, and manufacturer part numbers to
Digi-Key and Mouser part numbers.  It sounds like a lot of work, but it
really does save time in the end.  So I attach my part number as an
attribute, and generate my kit lists using a dim-witted C program and mySQL.

-dave