Re: gEDA-user: Heavy Symbols and such

Steve Meier wrote:
> There would be a ten million part library for resisters if you rrestrict
> yourself to a flat file format that limits the expression of the data so
> that it can't capture "natural regularities of that universe of components "

well, the way I often times see this handled in big companies is there
are internal part numbers.

123982 = 10k, 5%, 1206, 1/8 W, lead free
123983 = 12k, 5%, 1206, 1/8 W, lead free
123894 = ...

then the components group has a list that says "here are the approved
vendors and their part numbers for 123982".  Lets buyers negotiate on
price.  Designers for the most part probably don't care if that resistor
came from vishay, murata, or whoever.

Now you've dropped your library size considerably.

And for resistors, it can easily be generated by a fairly simple script.

 From my point of view, when it comes to small run things, it is not
that hard to do the translation between spec (package, tolerance,
resistance) while I'm ordering parts.

-Dan