Re: gEDA-user: Heavy Symbols and such

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 09:56:41AM -0800, Steve Meier wrote:
> I also agree that flat files really arn't a good way to capture a lot of
> relevent information. I shudder thinking about a library of 10 million
> resistors one for each manufacturor each package, each value etc.

This reminds a little of something I stole for the sig-quote database
(which is just a bunch of flat files, as it happens, but nowhere near a
million of them <grin>):

  "This is like making a car shorter by cutting off a few inches
  from each end with a Sawzall.  Of course there's little benefit,
  because that's a dumb way to do it."

There would be ten million resistor symbols only if you ignore the
natural regularities of that universe of components.  This does require
a little more logic, to apply the reduced volume of tabular data
appropriately.

And, yeah, those things are a little ad-hoc.  And some things will be
so much their own weird thing that they do need a totally unique
description per part.  <blink>So it goes.</blink>

--
And in the end, reality always tends to hit theory hard
in the face when you least expect it.  - Linus