Re: gEDA-user: Heavy Symbols and such

One way you can do this today is to at the schematic level add a
footprint attribute to each symbol as you place them. The pain is that
if you have a thousand resisters you have to do each one individualy.

I tend to create symbols that have a predefined foot print and then only
override it at the schemtic level when I need to.

For example I have all my surface mount resisters default to a 402
package. Then, since even these are quasie "virtual" as in they go ping
and are lost for ever when I hand solder them I switch the resistors to
an 805 package in place I know I am going to be playing with values.

I should note that pcb is very forgiving about not requiring footprint
info in the netlists while "I think or it has been my experience" that
pads requires the footprint information.

Steve Meier