Re: gEDA-user: pcb 20070912 and GTK trouble

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007, Stefan Salewski wrote:

>Stefan Salewski wrote:
>
>>Now we should try to find the reason for the jumping window content.
>
>I will try to describe this bug more detailed:
>
>The jump of the inner display occurs, when the mouse pointer touches the
>border of the inner drawing area. It is not related to the sliders (at
>right and bottom of the window, for panning.) Jump occurs also when I
>move the mousepointer to the top window limit, beside the pulldown menu,
>where no action element is located. The displayed area changed, and the
>coordinates displayed in the upper window border reflect this position
>change.
>
>If I press the right mouse button and do a minimal mouse movement
>(minimal panning) the window content and the position display jumps back
>to the correct value.
>
>If I use the middle mouse wheel to change zoom, display will not jump
>back to correct position.
>
>The jump occurs if the pcb window is maximized or smaller.

I've spent a "few" hours debugging this. I've submitted a bugreport on sf
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1840422&group_id=73743&atid=538811)
I've found that the bug is related to grid and grid snapping code and
also depends on what's the grid offset compared to the drawing area
is. Please see the comments in the bugreport.

I've also submitted a patch there (and a notify about this on de geda-dev
list) that partially fixes this bug and probably a number of other bugs
that may happen when PCB wants to scroll somwhere to show something to the
user (DRC?). The patch won't stop PCB to jump away, but once it has jumped
away, at least it stays there so next time you pan/scroll/zoom/click it
won't jump back to the previous position. This is not a workaround - the
patch replaces a FIXME in the code.