Re: gEDA-user: Heavy Symbols and such

> > gschem and pcb both really just want light symbols/footprints.
>
> this is where I really disagree.  If you change the package, then
> you are changing the part.

Do either gschem or pcb need to know that?  We think of a project as
being controlled by two files: the schematics, and the board.  Why not
three?  Schematics, board, BOM.  Does pcb really need to know the
vendor part number?  Does gschem?  All gschem needs to know is, for
example, "2-in NAND", and all PCB needs to know is that pin 7 of U2, a
TSOP-32, needs to be connected to ... etc.

Knowing which combinations of light symbol and light footprint, and
the pin mappings thereof, correspond to physical purchasable parts,
can be the job of the BOM.

> its not just that.  You'd need to maintain a list that deals with
> part number differences, pinout differences, etc.

I've documented an example of such a database, including the pin
mapping problem.