Re: gEDA-user: Shall we use letters (i.e. E, C, B ) for transsitor pin names?

On Sunday 16 December 2007, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> I have read that we can use single letters like "C", "E", "B"
> as pin names -- this makes it simpler to assign the correct
> footprint to a symbol.
>
> On the other hand, default geda/pcb symbols/footprints seems
> to use digits.
>
> What is your advice? Is there a fixed correlation between
> numbers and letters, i.e. "B" = "1", ...

Depending on what you want to do...

Older netlist formats depend on the order of connections and
parameters to determine what they are.  This leads to the
problem in general that people can't be consistent in the
order.  When you get the order wrong, the syntax is still
correct so the result is it doesn't work with no clue as to
why.

Newer formats use a name-value mapping.

There is no fixed correlation between names and ordering, but
there are conventions.  Everyone Knows That a Spice netlist for
a bjt is "collector base emitter".

Parameters are like this too...

Everyone knows that for a "pulse" function that the order of
arguments is: initial value, pulsed value, delay, rise, fall,
width, period.