Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2007 12:48:55 DJ Delorie wrote:

> Secondly, I object strongly to the idea of using a BOM as a master document.
>
> 1. How do you cope with the designer deleting a component and then renumbering
>    the ones that are left?

BOM has no unique IDs, thus no problem.  Schematic already handles this.
A new gnetlist run would just refer to the BOM/attrib-file-database to complete.

> 2. How do you do design re-use?
[jg]That is always a matter of specific parts, thus BOM is necessary to deal with.
You start from the BOM and Sch and edit them.

> 3. It adds even further to the bundle of files you have to send to someone,
>    and which they have to artfully arrange in their filesystem, if you want to
>    share your schematics with others.

[jg]The colleagues that want no details can leave the BOM off, and start making their own
easy enough...or just not make PCBs if they don't want to.  PCBs need BOMs.

dirs can be bundled, and making a GUI triggerable script do that in a consistent way would be
a good thing.   Complexity hiding has its place, but complexity deleting just results in toys.

BOM as master doc is coming from exp.  I won't be dropping it.

John G
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX
tinyOS devel on:  ubuntu Linux;   tinyOS v2.0.2;   telosb ecosens1