Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 21:48 +0100, Ivan Stankovic wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 05:42:59PM +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
> > I'm not arguing to replace gattrib though. Ivan Stankovic is / was doing
> > work on gattrib, so I'd expect to see some improvements there in due
> > course.
>
> Yes, I have been working on a gattrib rewrite and I've just barely
> got to load/save component attribs.

If this is in git, it would be great to be able to track progress. Could
you make a fork of the repo gEDA mirror:
http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-gaf.git
and push the changes as and when?

Can this work be applied as an incremental series of improvements, or is
it really a re-write?

> I have some useful ideas for
> improving gattrib in general, but the progress is really slow (I'm
> currently finishing my thesis). So don't expect anything soon.

No problem... good luck with it. (I'm terrible.. I always find coding
goes _faster_ when there is something important to do though!)

> (The good news is I've been able to greatly reduce code size, at least
> for those features that are implemented.)

Nice. Does it still use the same GtkSheet widget etc.?

> Another thing is that I've not yet fixed the new gattrib architecture
> which seems like a good idea, given the recent discussions on light vs.
> heavy symbols and part databases. Perhaps it would be best to just
> wait for a consensus on geda-user (I'm not sure if that's possible, though,
> but I _am_ hoping) and then begin coding?

I expect you'll finish your thesis (Masters / PhD?) before any
consensus / design is reached ;)

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,