Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 21:52 +0100, Ivan Stankovic wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 12:02:34PM -0800, Dave N6NZ wrote:
> > Is there any barrier to integrating gattrib with gschem?  I think I'd be
> > happy with being able to pop up gattrib as a gigantic modal dialog.
>
> I had actually proposed just that some months ago (it was on IRC),
> but the idea was dismissed as unnecessary and complicated, if I recall
> correctly. Personally, I think integrating gattrib with gschem (as in:
> gattrib-in-gschem would just be gschem's attribute dialog on steroids)
> makes perfect sense.

Joining things up in one binary was something I wanted to avoid, as it
breaks the original design philosophy of keeping things separate. I've
wondered if it might be possible to teach libgeda to talk to another
running instance of libgeda via an IPC mechanism. The first to load
would open the file, and the second would communicate changes to / from
that copy. All pipe dreams though, as a LOT of work needs to be done
before then.

If the the core gattrib functionality were a GUI plugin, and gattrib a
framework shell for loading schematics into memory etc.., then passing
the TOPLEVEL to the gattrib widget, we might be able to have the best of
both worlds.

Plugins won't be too far away in gschem... we just need something useful
to use them for.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,