Re: gEDA-user: Any TV repair gurus lurking?

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 15:26 -0500, Darryl Gibson wrote:
> Ian Chapman wrote:
> > The last time I fixed a TV I resoldered all the joints on the nec board.
> > That's the round thing on the end of the tube.  I found it by wiggling
> > wires.  Try moving the wires on the horizontal deflection coils looking at
> > the screen with a mirror.  Do not worry about the high voltages if it was
> > not dangerous it would not be fun. After all it's only a TV not an X-ray
> > machine or a WWII radar.
>
> Umm, it is an X-ray machine, or they used to be. I haven't been inside a
> TV in years, but don't the still carry X-ray warnings inside the chassis?
>
> A TV can hurt you, be safe, and watch out for that large red wire hooked
> to the picture tube. It will "jump" out and say hello to you.

I _nearly_ learnt that the hard way once, removing an anode cap.
Something told me to ground it just as I was starting to peel back the
rubber. I pulled an inch long spark off it ;)

I've fixed TVs and CRTs in the past.. just wasn't sure how to think this
one through to a likely part to prod. (I don't have a scope where I am
here).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,