Re: gEDA-user: modify footprint and update layout

A year or two ago, I made a footprint replacement program which worked
very well for me (I used it to swap out a few hundred parts with about
50 different footprints).  It worked like this ...  It assumed the
description was the file name.  Then it looked at the parts in the pcb
file, compared them to the new parts (with the same name), and put the
new footprints on the same side of the board with the same rotation.  It
tried not to make too many assumptions about the relationship between
the old and new parts.  The origins needed to be in the same relative
spots and the pin numbering order couldn't change (too much).   For each
footprint, it tried rotations of 0, 90,180, 270 degrees, and if all the
pins ended up in the same quadrants, it assumed the rotation was good
and used it.  If it couldn't find a rotation, it told you so.  This
algorithm allows silkscreens to change aribitrarily and pad sizes and
shapes to change arbitrarily.  If things go well, it writes a new pcb
file with all the footprints updated.  It was all very scriptable - I
ran it as part of a Makefile.  It's all written in Perl.  If you are
interested, I could pull together a set of files and post them.

Steve