Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb Process switches

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 09:16 -0600, John Griessen wrote:
> Tony Radice wrote:
>
> > 8) What happened: All components got ripped off the board and the new
> > parts file was populated with the parts with prefix-appended part
> > numbers (SA4/R112).
>

> I think taking away the netname mangle settings is always going to need taking away
> the subschematic references  source=SA4.sch etc.

John's suggestion should work, but I don't think it is a _necessary_
condition. The gnetlist run worked as expected, right..

What is perplexing is that gsch2pcb didn't appear to pick up your
gnetlistrc file. Did the copy of your design have the gnetlistrc file in
the directory? (Was that the directory where you ran gsch2pcb from?)

Perhaps you could post the log output from the gnetlist.log, and console
output from gsch2pcb?

NB: Logs are now stored in ~/.gEDA/logs/{progname}-{date}-{counter}.log

(gsch2pcb doesn't have a log file, only console output).

FWIW...

I've hit similar issues with boards where disabling hierarchy name
mangling was not an option. (Re-used sub-schematics).

The two hacks I used to combat the problem were:

1. Teach PCB to strip any hierarchy prefix from the displayed netname. I
then manually marked out each subcircuit block. "X1, X2" etc.. with a
box on the silk-screen, labelled with the block name.

2. When the board assembler didn't like the above approach, because it
was "confusing" for their assembly techs (and/or) pick+place machine
(and/or) optical inspection software:

Teach gnetlist to re-map its output using a mapping file. (HACK)
Generated renumber mapping using PCB's "renumber" action. (Fine)

Apply manual lookup between schematic hierarchy refdes and board refdes
during debugging - evil, but I can't see another way, not without making
a mass duplication of each re-used schematic. (That rather defeats the
purpose of having a single place to change the design of a sub-circuit!)

I can make either hack available (they probably already are on my
repo.or.cz branches), but beware that they are very much non-standard.

Best wishes,

Peter C.