Re: gEDA-user: Footprint recognition

   2009/12/16 Goran Meki�<[1]meka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

     � �Is there a way to recognize what footprint I need for an
     element other
     then printing them all and comparing it to real element? Let's say
     it's 2200uF polar cap. I know it's RCY*, but how to figure out
     what's
     *? Thanx!

   I have been using the footprint naming convention that is documented
   in the "Naming Specification" link at [2]http://tinyurl.com/67k3hn
   The spec is based on IPC-7351.
   After using this for a while I have found it very easy map footprints
   to names. The component type prefixes like CAPR, QFN, etc make it
   easy to find families of parts. The suffix tags for the various
   attributes
   -- D for diameter, P for pin spacing, N for number of pins, etc. Since
   keep each footprint in a separate file in a single directory I just
   use
   dired mode in EMACS to search. It is very quick.
   You won't be able to find a footprint based solely on the electrical
   specification since the electrical specification doesn't map
   to a single physical specification. A polarized cap with
   radial leads would be CAPPR in my footprints. You would
   need to know body diameter and pin spacing to determine
   the footprint.
   (* jcl *)

   --
   You can't create open hardware with closed EDA tools.
   twitter: [3]http://twitter.com/jluciani