Re: gEDA-user: xgsch2pcb does not play nice with hierarchical design

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 22:08 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:07:37 +0000, Peter Brett wrote:
>
> > Speaking as the designer of xgsch2pcb, it was intended to be a *minimal*
> > X frontend to gsch2pcb, noy a project manager.
>
> Oh dear, I used the wrong buzzword! :-|
> As an frontend to gsch2pcb, I miss ready access to the comments, warnings
> and advice the utility provides on the command line.
>
> > As an added bonus, it provides a way to launch gschem to edit them.
>
> Why deny this bonus to files of a hierarchical design?

Mostly because it is difficult to do ;)

The data is in the schematics, not the gsch2pcb file, and neither
xgsch2pcb, nor gsch2pcb are in the business of extracting hierarchy
information from the schematics.

Not saying it can't be done, or won't be done... just won't be done
soon.

Best wishes,

Peter C.