Re: gEDA-user: Problems with MOSFET symbols in PCB

   Thanks for the suggestions but I actually found a ready-made symbol
   from the symbol site and it causes PCB to choke when included in the
   schematic.  It chokes on the very last line of the definition in the
   .pcb file as seen here:
   Element(0x00 "" "" "" 50 570 1 100 0x00)
   (
   # I have been unable to locate the JEDEC drawing.  However, refering
   # to  [1]http://www.zetex.com/3.0/pdf/TO220.pdf which claims to be
   JEDEC
   # compliant, I see that the pins are rectangular with dimensions:
   #
   # 15-40 mils X 16-20 mils which gives a diagonal of
   # 21.9 to 44.7 mils
   #
   # The pin pitch is 90 to 110 mils.
   #
   # The mounting hole is 139 to 160 mils diameter
       Pin(100 800 90 60 "1" 0x101)
       Pin(200 800 90 60 "2" 0x01)
       Pin(300 800 90 60 "3" 0x01)
       # Befestigungsbohrung
       Pin(200 130 150 130 "4" 0x01)
       # Anschlussdraehte
       ElementLine(100 800 100 620 30)
       ElementLine(200 800 200 620 30)
       ElementLine(300 800 300 620 30)
       # Gehaeuse
       ElementLine(  0 620 400 620 20)
       ElementLine(400 620 400 245 20)
       ElementLine(400 245   0 245 20)
       ElementLine(  0 245   0 620 20)
       # Kuehlfahne mit Kerben
       ElementLine(  0 245 400 245 20)
       ElementLine(400 245 400 120 20)
       ElementLine(400 120 385 120 20)
       ElementLine(385 120 385  50 20)
       ElementLine(385  50 400  50 20)
       ElementLine(400  50 400  10 20)
       ElementLine(400  10   0  10 20)
       ElementLine(  0  10   0  50 20)
       ElementLine(  0  50  15  50 20)
       ElementLine( 15  50  15 120 20)
       ElementLine( 15 120   0 120 20)
       ElementLine(  0 120   0 245 20)
       Mark(200 800)
   )-GDS(TO220-GDS,S2/Q8,IRFI640G) <<<<<<------ Problem here
   I don't know enough about PCB to see what's wrong with this line to
   change it, all I know is if I remove it PCB is happy until it hits the
   Thanks-
   Larry

   On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Dan McMahill <[2]dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:

   phil wrote:
   > I just use symbols for transistors and for fets that have the pinout
   in
   > the name:
   >
   > fet-pmos-3-gds.sym
   > pnp-2-cbe.sym
   >
   > The name of the symbol has the pins in order 1-3, so the p-ch mosfet
   is
   > gate = , drain = 2, source =3 ... like an insulated to-220 mosfet.
   >
   > This probably doesn't use the symbols to their full potential but it
   > keeps me from getting confused as easily.

     beware that different vendors sometimes put the pin number on
     different
     physical pins.  TO-18's and TO-39's are some example packages where
     have seen vendor #1 number them one way and vendor #2 a different
     way.
     Turns out that the E/B/C to physical location mapping was
     identical,
     they just mapped 1/2/3 to physical location differently.  ugh!
     Thats why I use heavy symbols exclusively for things like
     transistors.
     No need to remember "lets see, was this a cbe transistor"  and
     "which
     vendor numbering".  I just say "give me a MMBT3904".
     -Dan