Re: gEDA-user: blue sky ideas - written down finally

DJ Delorie wrote:

> I'm not exactly sure what's best here, but I know it doesn't belong in
> the *gate*.  My idea is to have a table object that shows up in the
> schematic, like in a corner or something, that lists all the power
> pins and what nets they connect to.  I've seen other schematics with
> this, it seemed much cleaner than what we do.

I think you are advocating the logical view schematic (as opposed to a
physical view).  BTW, John Doty does this for his connectors - as I recall.

A schematic represents different things to different people:
The technician likes the symbols to closely resemble the physical parts.
  It makes working on the board easier since he doesn't need data sheets
in addition to the schematic.

The engineer is interested in connectivity and functionality.  There's a
ton of divergence here - analog vs digital, low speed high speed etc.

The PCB layout guy wants the schematic to give clues, how the engineer
envisioned the flow of physical parts.

That's just a short list, I'm sure.  Be aware though, you probably can't
make everyone happy with any one style.

Personally, the physical view seems to cover the largest group.  Yeah,
large FPGA or uP don't fit very well on the sheet.  Maybe that's a place
where your method works out.  It seems to work for John Doty and
connectors.  You just don't want to get to the point where you'd be
better off with just a netlist - which totally defeats the purpose of a
graphical entry system.

$0.02 from gene :)