Re: gEDA-user: Random thoughts on the future interface of PCB

Anthony Blake wrote:
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:18 AM, Armin Faltl <armin.faltl@xxxxxx> wrote:
Anthony Blake wrote:
Yes, if you were having difficulty with the END_LOOP macro, I can
understand why you didn't venture any deeper into the code.

I had no difficulty finding or understanding the macro, but I have a huge
problem
to work on code, where others deliberately introduce stuff, that is a
maintenance
nightmare. There is a reason, the compiler disallows unmacht '{'  in one
file.

Relax, the macros aren't part of an elaborate plan to *deliberately*
obfuscate the code. That file is over 15 years old.
Yes, theses macros make the code look like FORTRAN
I don't think a few 'maintenance nightmares' or matching '{' problems
are good reasons for giving up and just doing nothing instead. You
don't have to like the macros and so on to fix bugs, and IMO just
nutting up and dealing with the matching '{' issues etc is worth it to
nail a bug that may have been bothering you.
Before I can nail a bug, I have to understand the code. If I have to look at 2 files to understand something as simple as '}}' this gets disgusting. I don't have the time
to learn all the peculiarities of the code to be sure of what I'm doing.

Replacing these macros can be seen as a point-fix - nothing is changed in the logic.
That's why I would have volunteered to do that (and similiar things),
but everyone working on a branch has to apply the delta - and they don't like to.
Its better than doing
nothing or writing large parts of PCB from scratch.
No, I believe, that if I have no thorough understanding of what I'm really
doing, I better leave the code alone or write a part between clean interfaces
from scratch. That's because to me this app is not a toy.

When I first saw the 'productivity' of a recent contributor I was standing in awe.
I thought - incredible, he must have an IQ of 300+ or something. Since his
handling of drilling tool path optimization and the remark on math and simulation, it's clear to me, how he achieves this staggering speed. By the "oh - I don't understand
it, let's ignore or rip it out"-attitude.

Markus, did you realize by now, that drill file optimization is actually
the NP-hard 'traveling salesman problem'? Tons of literature and
algorithms exist for it ;-)