Re: gEDA-user: Random thoughts on the future interface of PCB

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 03:26 +0100, kai-martin knaak wrote:

> 3) Early during the scripted printing affair, I discovered,
> that almost all command line options described in the pcb
> manual are obsolete. When I volunteered to fix this on the
> ml, it was suggested to put the documentation directly in
> the source like it is done for actions. This seemed like a
> good idea, so I started hacking. Turned out that implicit
> alphabetical sort like it is reasonable for actions, does
> not quite fit for command lines. With so many options you'd
> want some grouping for better readability.
> I split my effort in two patches: Modification of the
> comment collection script and the bulk of documenting
> comments. The first patch got applied after I did some
> nagging. So I went ahead and spent a couple of evenings
> to write the documenting comments. First my patch was
> ignored, again. After nagging and renagging I was told,
> that the dev did not like the way I implemented explicit
> ordering. Thus the second patch got rejected.
> Result: The command line options section in the pcb manual
> still sends users to completely wrong directions. No word
> of warning.

It is a great shame that your efforts haven't made it into the project.
I hope that at least the content creation work can be salvaged, even if
the developer in question feels a desire to adjust the way ordering is
done. (I don't know who that was, but I guess there aren't many more
possibilities than I have fingers on a hand!)

> Long time result: I dedicate my free cycles to other open
> source projects -- projects, where I can achieve more with
> less fight and less frustration.

Your use and testing of PCB+GL has been much appreciated. It is only
through brave users trying these things (and giving feedback) that
things will get better.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,