Re: gEDA-user: Random thoughts on the future interface of PCB

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:59 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you want to hire a maintainer, consider that the average senior
> engineer costs about $200k per year, if you include benefits - and if
> you want a full time engineer, you'd have to provide them because
> you'd be replacing their regular job.  gEDA just doesn't generate that
> kind of revenue.

I wasn't thinking of a full time maintainer - more along the lines of
a couple of events in PCB's past:

* I remember when we missed out on the second round of Google Summer
of code funding for the toporouter.  It was so disappointing!  I
remember thinking that $15K would have allowed a huge improvement to
PCB by allowing the toporouter to be finished - but it wasn't to be.

* You wrote the very useful visual DRC system with some financial help
from Linux Fund.

So no, I can't imagine our small community coming up with $200K per
year - but I can just about bring myself to imagine we could raise
$15K or so, and I know that even an amount like that can make a
considerable difference.