Re: gEDA-user: Text in PCB elements

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 23:28:25 +0100
Armin Faltl <armin.faltl@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> > There is a difference: The rendering happens on footprint creation
> > time. It is irreversible, meaning, the text cannot be edited after
> > the fact.
> I think I got you now: you want to place one footprint per character
> or generate a footprint,
> that displays your text - before I thought you want to have a way,
> that "char-footprints"
> can somehow be referenced in another footprint.
>
> Still I believe, that extension of the footprint format to contain
> text is the way to go.

If footprints are extended to allow text elements to be included, then
I really hope that general polygons will be allowed too.  That would
allow users nearly unlimited flexibility, for instance:

- Easy to create a trapezoidal pad (as requested on this list recently).

- Simple to include text in arbitrary fonts using
  PostScript->pstoedit->pcb.  This is decent substitute for "real"
  fonts in pcb for static text that rarely changes.

Regards,
Colin