Re: gEDA-user: Text in PCB elements

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
There is a difference: The rendering happens on footprint creation time.
It is irreversible, meaning, the text cannot be edited after the fact.
I think I got you now: you want to place one footprint per character or generate a footprint, that displays your text - before I thought you want to have a way, that "char-footprints"
can somehow be referenced in another footprint.

Still I believe, that extension of the footprint format to contain text is the way to go. Text can be rendered in pcb, so the routines must be there. Truetype fonts etc. discussed lately are a completely different issue ofcourse - but I can live with fonts as is.