gEDA-user: Erroneous rats added to PCB

   Hi,
   I have looked through the gEDA mail archives, searched the web, RTFM,
   looked through FAQs and experimented all in an attempt to sort through
   my challenges with pcb. ...
   I have been using gEDA and pcb to complete a board layout. This is my
   second significant layout with the first completing successfully. I
   recently moved to pcb version 1.99z after experiencing instability
   problems with pcb 20091103.
   My .pcb file from 20091103 had 76 rats left to clean-up when I made the
   change. pcb 1.99z was able to read the pcb file but it reports 135 rats
   remaining. When I look at some of the additional rats, it is clear that
   for some reason, these "extra" rats will result in shorting together a
   number of nets. After computing the new rats list (key o) and looking
   at warnings (key w), there are now numerous nets shorted together and
   the number of rats has increased again to 197.
   I thought that I had something very basic wrong but my experimentation
   and searching has not uncovered others who have seen this problem. I
   can take one my the schematic files (rather than the whole set), use
   gsch2pcb to create a new pcb file and then use pcb with a much smaller
   set of components. The latest version of pcb exhibits this random,
   shorting rats behaviour whereas the 20091103 version does not. In this
   test, I go through the same procedure (start with the output from
   gsch2pcb, start pcb, load the netlist, disperse all elements and then
   optimize rats nest) but 1.99z continues to generate extra, bogus rats.
   Has anyone else seen this problem?
   More importantly, any idea what I am doing incorrectly?
   Thanks in advance.
   Peter