Re: gEDA-user: Resistor valuesâ

On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 13:18 -0700, John Doty wrote:

> Divorce gEDA from pcb. Create a schematic plugin for pcb, since that
> seems to be what pcb users want. The flexibility of the
> gschem/gnetlist flow is unnecessary to hobbyists. The current
> developers are dangerously pcb-centric.

ARE there any "current" gEDA developers?

That is slightly rhetorical, as I know Peter Brett is doing some
thankless, but HUGELY important work on refactoring the gschem drawing
code into a separate library.

This library will be important to the project as it opens the
possibilities for creating external previewers, thumbnailer's, library
managers, command line printing tools etc.. which don't require gschem
to render graphics. Some day I hope PCB can do this too.

Peter has also done work on guile APIs recently. (I'll confess not to
have followed that particularly closely, but it was not in any way PCB
specific).

Without offending anyone I hope, I think it would be fair to say there
is ONE "current" gEDA developer, and I think you would struggle to point
out anything detrimental Peter Brett has done to the project.

His dedicated work on thankless tasks have helped keep things alive at a
time when gEDA development has / had otherwise completely stagnated.

(Yes, Peter B and I are friends, so I'm biased - but I think this all
bore saying.)

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,