Re: gEDA-user: Resistor values…

On Dec 25, 2010, at 12:49 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

> John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>> "Often", perhaps, but not usually.  No matter how you slice it, the
>>> most common way to use such a symbol and its corresponding physical
>>> representation is as a component on a circuit board or in an IC.
>>
>> Maybe for you.
>
> Your opinion doesn't change the statistics.  gEDA is most often used to
> design circuit boards.

The tyranny of the majority, again.

>> Yes it is. It is extremely important that gEDA remain the excellent
>> tool for these jobs that it is.
>
> Extremely?  Not at all.  It's only as as important as the people willing
> to work on it make it.

Maybe to you gEDA is just one of the crowd of hobbyist EDA tools. It is much more to me.

>> They won't if the attitude of "I don't care to know about any flow
>> except pcb, and all I want is my version of the pcb flow" isn't
>> vigorously opposed.
>
> You've yet to prove that that attitude actually exists.

I'm still cleaning up from the mess created when the default attribute promotion policy was changed a couple of years ago, apparently to better serve the perceived needs of small scale pcb projects. It's easy to fix in gafrc, but you had to know to do it before populating your schems with unwanted promoted footprints. Some developer just wasn't thinking about the breadth of the application space.

> Yup, we're tyrants because we want to make it easier for 99% of our
> users to get their jobs done.

But you aren't. A special purpose pcb-centric symbol/footprint library would be a fine substitute for the eclectic default library. For those users who would do better with it, it would be "here, install this". But nobody's done that. Changing the default library piecemeal won't solve the problem, and will break things.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx