Re: gEDA-user: Resistor values…

John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> "Often", perhaps, but not usually.  No matter how you slice it, the
>> most common way to use such a symbol and its corresponding physical
>> representation is as a component on a circuit board or in an IC.
>
> Maybe for you.

Your opinion doesn't change the statistics.  gEDA is most often used to
design circuit boards.

> Yes it is. It is extremely important that gEDA remain the excellent
> tool for these jobs that it is.

Extremely?  Not at all.  It's only as as important as the people willing
to work on it make it.

> If the absence of a value= attribute is a problem for you, attach
> one. Even if it's present, it's likely to be wrong, so you have about
> the same amount of work to do in any case. But getting rid of it is
> somewhat more work, especially in existing schematics that assume its
> absence.

The presence of an empty value= label still serves a purpose - it stores
the position information so that the designer doesn't have to manually
move N copies of value= for every resistor.

> They won't if the attitude of "I don't care to know about any flow
> except pcb, and all I want is my version of the pcb flow" isn't
> vigorously opposed.

You've yet to prove that that attitude actually exists.

> Ah, the tyranny of the majority again.

Yup, we're tyrants because we want to make it easier for 99% of our
users to get their jobs done.