Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Wikibook ?

DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "Bert Timmerman" <bert.timmerman@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> I don't think it's a Good Thing (TM) that a User Manual is derived
>> from source code files, for this would require a person with gEDA-dev
>> priviliges to push changes into the git repository.
>
> I originally envisioned four manuals for PCB:
>
> http://www.delorie.com/pcb/docs/
>
> The first two obviously must be hand-written; a wikibook would be
> appropriate for those (although I already wrote the first).  The second
> two are more likely to benefit from source extraction and tighter
> control.
>
> I don't mind giving push privs to doc maintainers.

Documentation of gEDA, including PCB is a huge mess, with lots of
diverging efforts being attempted, but no results that I could point to.
The fakt that there were three PCB FAQs highlights this nicely.  And
telling somebody to "read the FAQ", when google first shows the two that
do not provide the answer makes it much worse.

There is the gEDA wiki, without an EDIT button, not even a REGISTER
button, and when you click on View Source, it says

  This page is read only. You can view the source, but not change
  it. Ask your administrator if you think this is wrong.

without pointing to said adminstrator.  That won't do.

Sure, eventually I found the last paragraph on the front page to explain
why it is so.  Anyhow, I guess I will continuie to ignore that wiki,
which is not a wiki in my eyes without an edit button.

The barrier to contribute not only source code but also documentation
is too high.  There are way too may forks and branches around.

I will not help to start even more manuals, wikibooks, whatever, without
a coherent plan, which includes taking all the other stuff offline
eventually.

--
Stephan