Re: gEDA-user: Working on a tiny schematics editor

On Sun, 2010-12-26 at 14:33 -0500, John Doty wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2010, at 2:10 PM, Stefan Salewski wrote:
>
> > I have to modify the netlister and gschem -- gschem tries to be smart
> > and makes one single net when multiple net segments are in a straight
> > line.
>
> Doesn't putting:
>
> (net-consolidate "disabled")
>
> in gschemrc fix that for your purpose in gschem?
>
> I have no doubt that gnetlist needs work here.

Indeed, it works fine. I really wonder why we all missed that option
when we discussed that subnet topic last summer.

http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Aug-2010/msg00470.html

http://ssalewski.de/gEDA-Netclass.html.en

Still some extents for gschem may be useful, i.e fast attribute
assignment, and maybe different visible appearance (colors) of different
net segments. But it really works without modification, great.

The more difficult part may be still netlist generation without
discarding the net-attributes for segments. I do not know, but I can
remember that someone with guile/gnetlist experience told us in our
discussion last summer that it is possible to modify gnetlist, but that
it would take some time for him.

OK, shame on me for missing that option. But I do not think that this
really proves that a gschem rewrite is obsolete. There are so many
similar problems, wishful improvements. All big task currently, no one
really does it. Such an improvement should take at most some hours in
Ruby.

And this example unfortunately shows one weak point of gEDA: The initial
authors and experts have retired, functionality may be already there,
but most of us do not know or understand it.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski