Re: gEDA-user: Resistor valuesâ

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:24:18 +0100
Levente Kovacs <leventelist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 00:50:07 -0600
> Vanessa Ezekowitz <vanessaezekowitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > * If the part in question can usually be described by a single value,
> > for the purposes of the signal flow in the schematic that is, then
> > give it a default of "value=0".
>
> That is bad. You have to think twice that "is it a 0 Ohm resistor, or do I
> missed to attach normal value of that device?"

True, which is why I later suggested using a string like "0.0" - something that no one would deliberately type.  Then the computer could use that as a trigger to highlight the symbol or whatever.

> > * If it is a discrete part that is specified entirely by its part
> > number rather than a measurement, like a diode or a transistor, then
> > pick a reasonable default; "value=1N914" or "value=2N2222".
>
> Again. Is it the default or real? Nobody knows.

The idea was to save some work for the majority of use cases (assume for the moment the most popular parts as defaults, rather than the ones I mentioned above).  Default or not, the string would still be valid - it remains the responsibility of the user to decide if his or her schematic specifies the right parts.

> > * If none of these fits, then leave the "value=" attribute off
> > entirely, since the user would have no choice but to get creative
> > anyway.
>
> That will make gnetlist to crash! :-) Believe me I tried! I spent nights
> manually seeking for this. Don't do it.

In that case, gnetlist should be crashing all the time, since the current symbol library is pretty much devoid of this attribute now.  I'm suggesting, in this instance, that symbols that meet this condition simply remain as they are today (don't add or remove anything from the symbols).

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over.  Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."