Re: gEDA-user: Resistor valuesâ

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 00:50:07 -0600
Vanessa Ezekowitz <vanessaezekowitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * If the part in question can usually be described by a single value,
> for the purposes of the signal flow in the schematic that is, then
> give it a default of "value=0".

That is bad. You have to think twice that "is it a 0 Ohm resistor, or do I
missed to attach normal value of that device?"

> * If it is a discrete part that is specified entirely by its part
> number rather than a measurement, like a diode or a transistor, then
> pick a reasonable default; "value=1N914" or "value=2N2222".

Again. Is it the default or real? Nobody knows.

> * If the part is something like a logic IC, use the standard name of
> the part in the fastest commonly available series for that particular
> gate; "value=74F74" or "value=74HCT245".
>
> * If none of these fits, then leave the "value=" attribute off
> entirely, since the user would have no choice but to get creative
> anyway.

That will make gnetlist to crash! :-) Believe me I tried! I spent nights
manually seeking for this. Don't do it.

What I do is I keep my symbols light. Sometimes it doesn't even have
pin-numbers! After I made my design, I update all my symbols, and attributes
with an updater script, which pulls everything from a MySQL database.

Levente

--
Levente Kovacs
http://levente.logonex.eu