gEDA-user: Gschem footprint attributes in PCB

I've been working with gschem and pcb for a couple of days now to familiarize myself with the tools and I've noticed that the footprint= attribute in gschem does not match up with the footprint coding in pcb. It's not suprising but I was wondering if people using these two packages are simply re-coding the gschem library footprint= attribute or is there some other magical method of getting around this problem.

Thanks

Mark