Re: gEDA-user: Verilog 2001

Hello Matt and Stephen!

Am Donnerstag, 13.02.03 um 01:48 Uhr schrieb Stephen Williams:

Some of Verilog-2001 is already supported, including signed arithmetic,
declaration assignments, port declaration lists, and other items I forget.

Arrays of primitive gates (i.e. bufif drv [31:0]) already work fine.
Arrays of modules are harder, but someday I'll get to them. Generate
statements would not be far behind module instance arrays, but they
are not on my to-do list for 0.8. I agree that working generate
syntax would be extremely kool, and is not as hard as it looks.

I'm also keeping an eye on SystemVerilog developments, and will be
bringing in some bits soon. Integral types in particular are next on
my to-do list.
Nice deja vu.
Just yesterday I feed icarus with Verilog 2001 files to see how well it would be supported. My last attempt was with 0.6 and horrible. Now, with your 0.7 for MacOS X, I see just a working Verilog 1995 Edition and your -g switch on command line. Why you run far away to SystemVerilog with your Integral types and lay still down needed Verilog 2001 support in case of configuration / generate?

I'm a hardware design engineer and working with gates. I'm not a software loving engineer with need of sophisticated types. My focus is real hardware stuff near to silicon. In my opinion it's important to finish one standard edition well before starting the next one. Sorry but your nice -g switch is missleading I didn't know if one feature from edition will supported or not.

How about a documentation on features and best usage in Icarus Verilog? Did you need any help I could give? My implementation style stresses Icarus very well, but how many guys working on icarus software to follow the hints?

Regards
Hagen Sankowski