Re: gEDA-user: putting it all together

cfk@pacbell.net said:
> I am studying the use of Icarus Verilog to create an RTL netlist. From
> that netlist, which has INV, OR, NAND, etc defined, I am trying to
> understand how to flow the netlist into Magic.

The best way to get from Verilog to MAGIC is to write a code generator
that generates the appropriate netlist format. The ivl_target API
actually communicates the compiled design with LPM (approximately)
level devices, which the code generators then write into real world
netlist/library combinations.

The newer -tfpga supports Xilinx Virtex parts more directly then the
-txnf code generator you are apparently using. The EDIF that comes
out of that code generator can be handed directly to the Xilinx tools
for map/par. The sqrt-virtex.v example demonstrates this.

ASIC based libraries are different from FPGA parts libraries, so
hacking the -tfpga code generator would not be ideal.

It would be fairly nifty if someone would like to take the time to
write a code generator for the libraries supported by MOSIS. Writing
a code generator is easier then writing a synthesizer (the synthesis
is already done) and even easier then writing the design for your
chip; but harder then writing a simple set of printfs.
steve at picturel.com         and lines to code before I sleep,