gEDA-user: gschem 20040111: adding component directories?

Thanks for reading this. Gschem doesn't find my custom parts
directory. I have done a fair bit of head-scratching etc, but it
didn't help much.

With the 2003 versions, I used a symlink that pointed to a components
directory under my $HOME dir, and any self-created parts would go
there, and could be retrieved from there.

With 20040111, this trick doesn't appear to work anymore. Adding a
directory under /usr/local/share/gEDA/sym, and putting the components
there didn't help. File and directory permissions were set
identically to the 'official' component directories.

In fact, even copying
/usr/local/share/gEDA/sym/4000
/usr/local/share/gEDA/sym/anything
..does not make the 'anything' library show up in gschem, even after a
program restart. The normal parts are all there.

Are the component paths being cached somewhere? I must be missing
something blatantly obvious. Any pointers appreciated. The system is
Linux (Mandrake 9.1) and gEDA is a standard build/install from
sources. I use the system-wide rc files.

Wilbert.