Re: gEDA-user: gnetlist in a Makefile

Hello Carlos

<snip>

> > I think it'd be nice to have the backend returning some value depending
> > on the number of errors and warnings, so it would be easy to do that
> > kind of tests in Makefiles.
> >
> > So maybe return a different value for each possible situation:
> > 	- No errors.
> > 	- Only warnings.
> > 	- Errors.
>
> agreed.  Using (error "errorstring") in the scheme code you can
> make gnetlist error out with a non-zero error code, but I'm not sure
> how to signal to gnetlist that there are warnings and it should return
> that.
>
> What do you think of having a command line option which prevents warnings
> from giving an error code?

I agree too. As far as I understand, make stops when a program returns a
nonzero exit code. So the user must decide somehow, whether a warning should
stop execution or not. May be it's easier to put a flag in the scheme code.

> > Using your makefile, you will only run the spice backend if there are no
> > errors. The drc2 backend can also raise warnings, and a lazy user will
> > not check those if the spice backend was run and no message about
> > warnings was printed, so I would print a message warning the user if
> > there are warnings.

I think it's a good idea, even without using a makefile,  to print a message
to the console:  Warnings and errors where found, check output file.

If you make some changes, I will test it.

Peter