Re: gEDA-user: PCB under Window$

Hi,

> I managed to install PCB
> http://pcb.sourceforge.net
> on M$ Window$ successfully and simply.
>
> First I installed Cygwin and clicked up bunch of reasonable options
> (X, gcc, GNU Make, and lots more)

Worked for me too, but my X choices were pretty random :)

> Then I downloaded the source from the PCB official webpage and did
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> make
> make install

True, true.
I experimented with Xaw3d, now can't get rid of it...

> Then I started Cygwin, typed "startx" (this started X Window
System) with
> another commandline shell, and then I just typed "pcb twister.pcb" and
> could edit the PCB.

Just like in tutorial.

> Does anyone has experience with PCB on Windows? Has anyone experienced
> any problems during that?

The only problems are with GUI:

1. the editing area (active project area) does not resize when I
maximize main window.
2. some (most) menus are too short to display all contents.

I hope that it is because of Xaw3d instead of Xaw, still trying to
recofigure/recompile without --with-xaw=xaw3d, without success.

> It's a 800MHz notebook and it's rather slow (due to the CPU speed,
> cygwin/Windows inefficiency and also I suspect PCB from being written
> poorly froom speed point of view).

Doing good on Celeron 2.53GHz.

Peter