Re: gEDA-user: quick question

kmk wrote:
Marvin Dickens wrote:

Ok, found them.

Making the statement that it is doubtful that Alibre

The statement was refering to varicad.

Exactly, what is the connection between a company who demos their product in Flash
and their commitment to *any* particular operating system?

Flash players are not readily available for some systems. In particular there is no native viewer in my distribution (debian) and macromedia fails to provide a plugin: http://www.macromedia.com/de/software/flashplayer/productinfo/systemreqs/

On second thought I searched a little harder and found a download page
for an older version of the player. So I finally can view flash movies
with mozilla based browsers :-)

I decided to try the trial version of varicad. It needed a bit of admin
persuasion to install. The package requires kdelibs4:3.3.2-6.4 but
debian only provided kdelibs4:3.3.2-6.4 with sarge before they switched
to kdelibs4c2a for etch. So I had to use "--foce-all" to get it
installed anyway. Since I already have updated most of my system to etch
I had to downgrade almost all my k-Windows apps. Luckily my desktop is
based on gnome...

>From what I have seen yet, the GUI of varicad is quite intuitive. Much
better than the autacad clones I have seen before. Working with 3D is
easier than 2D with qcad (!). I think, I will shell out the money for a
license and hope that the program does "as advertised" :-)

---<(kaimartin)>----
Of course, no one likes spending money (At least, I don't...). With that said, Varicad has lived up
to our expectations (So far...) which are based on our experience with the trial version, Varicads
marketing progaganda and what we read/saw in the support groups.

Best

Marvin