Re: gEDA-user: gattrib unpleasant user interface

> If I have the string "TMD axial 18.5x8mm" in package column
> of C24 in gattrib and want to erase the "TMD" I click in the middle and
> get the cursor between "TMD axi" and "al 18.5x8mm". Then I want to move
> the cursor 4 characters left so I can erase the TMD. But instead the
> cursor jumps on the first press of left arrow key into left neighbouring
> field and the cursor position is lost.
>
> I suggest the cursor to move one character left in such a situation and
> not one field left. It's very annoying.

You're right -- it is kind of annoying.   I prefer the way a real
spreadsheet program (like MS Excel) handles the arrow keys.  Fixing
gattrib, however, involves figuring out how GTK handles arrow key
callbacks, and then changing the mode of  the GtkItemEntry widget's
arrow key handling depending upon the arrow key history.
Unfortunately, I was unable to figure out how GTK handles arrow key
callbacks in a time which maximized my overall utility, so I left this
bit of program tweaking for future hacking.

If anybody has some pointers to documentation or books explaining
clearly how GTK deals with keyboard callbacks (i.e. which callback is
invoked when, in which order, etc), please let me know.  The reference
material I have seen up to now is at best superficial.

And yes, the GTK code itself is the ultimate documentation, but, like
I said, I am looking for a *clear* explanation ...  :-)

Stuart