Re: gEDA-user: inverted pins?

Werner Hoch wrote:

On Monday 20 February 2006 03:25, DJ Delorie wrote:

Ok, what's the standard for inverted pins in symbols?  How do I (or
do I) put the bar over the text?  Specifically, I'm adding the
pinlabel attribute to a pin on a symbol, and having it displayed
inside the big box that's the "component", and adding the inversion
bubble.  But I'd like to have the bar over the name, either also or
instead, like:

40 | ___
-----()| BHE

I like it that way, too.

To put the bar over the text you have to sum up the width of the used characters.

In tragesym there's a lookup table for that task char --> charwidth.

Net names should have the bar over them too, once I get to that
point.

Also, is there some standard for:

1. Where pin numbers get placed

Outside, 100 mils away (enough space for negation bubbles) right alignment for left pins, left aligment for right pins

2. Where pin labels get placed

Inside, 50 mils away from the box, left bottom alignment for left pins, right bottom alignment for right pins, center bottom for bottom pins and center top for top pins.

3. Spacing and text angle for pins on the top/bottom of box-symbols

If there are only a few pins on the top, or bottom rotation is IHMO not nesseccary.
e.g. ATmega163_DIP.sym
For symbols with lots of pins it's useful to rotate labels and attributes:
e.g. MSP430x13-4x.sym

I second this approach. Symbols for complex parts get quite large unless the pinlabel text is perpendicular to the edge. Rotating the text is a little extra work but I still do it. Changing the "alignment " flag seems more difficult from inside gschem. I usually do that with a text editor.

Joe T

Please take a look at the invisible attributes too.

I've written a program to extract/insert attributes into .SYM files
(gattrib seems to want whole schematics, not symbols), using open
office's spreadsheet to sort/edit/fill. The script knows where to
put "new" attributes (you can add a column and it inserts them, plus
it knows about the standard attributes), assuming I've guessed OK
about where to put them.

It seems there are a lot of symbol generators out there ;-)

The tragesym script is part of the utility package.
Most of the features are listed here: http://www.h-renrew.de/h/tragesym/tragesym.html

For the braves I've attached the script that I use for fixing symbols.
Don't use it unless you know what you're doing.
The batchfile b is for the workflow only.

regards
Werner