Re: gEDA-user: PCB & Gschem

On Friday 24 February 2006 21:41, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2006, at 4:37 PM, Marc Price wrote:

>    Schematics are a logical representation of a circuit's ELECTRICAL
> topology...not its implementation in the physical world.  There's a big
> abstraction layer there.

Although the schematics can incorporate considerable constraints on the
physical implementation: for instance requiring impedance-matched traces on
the PCB... ;)

I definitely like light symbols.  The big board I made last year had only
values, precisions and quality factors on the resistors/capacitors/inductors,
and then I used a custom script to fill in the part numbers, footprints and
availability data from a database into the BOM/netlist directly; they were
never in the schematics, and all I needed to do to move from 0805 to 1206
resistors for a particular value/precision (approx. 40 of) was to change one
entry in my database and regenerate the netlist. Plain text formats 4tw.

Peter

--
Quake II build tools: http://peter-b.co.uk/

v2sw6YShw7$ln5pr6ck3ma8u6/8Lw3+2m0l7Ci6e4+8t4Eb8Aen5+6g6Pa2Xs5MSr5p4
  hackerkey.com