gEDA-user: Wierd behaviour of libgeda printing code

Hi there folks,

You may recall that a while back (getting on for a year now) I was using
gschem at Sharp to do some design (2 quite large boards, had them routed and
fabbed by a contractor, worked really well.)

Since then, I've been at Cambridge University at the Engineering Department,
where you'll be interested to hear that gschem/pcb appear to be the schematic
capture/layout toolchain of choice for undergraduate use.

However, you may also remember I complained about gschem's PostScript output
and suggested a (working but admittedly rather hackish) patch:

http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Feb-2005/msg00215.html

What was the problem? gschem's (or more precisely libgeda's) PostScript output
does extremely wierd things to PostScript viewers & PDF converters due to the
page size and orientation not being set correctly. I was informed that this
was the expected behaviour, it wouldn't be changed, and that I should munge
the output through ps2ps with an -sPAPERSIZE=<blah> argument in order to get
something useful.

Now, a couple of weeks ago I mentioned in passing to someone I know at the
department that I'd done a little hacking on gEDA, and specifically the PS
code. Today he came back to me and asked if he could see my patch, saying
that (I paraphrase), 'Printing works well in pcb, but we're having problems
with gschem.' Yep, same issue as far as I can tell.

I'd like to know:

(1)  Does the development team even acknowledge there is a problem here?
(2)  Would they be prepared to help me fix it this time?

Peter

P.S. The gschem printing dialog is vile, but that's another subject
entirely...

--
Quake II build tools: http://peter-b.co.uk/

v2sw6YShw7$ln5pr6ck3ma8u6/8Lw3+2m0l7Ci6e4+8t4Eb8Aen5+6g6Pa2Xs5MSr5p4
  hackerkey.com