Re: gEDA-user: POLL: On politeness

On Feb 24, 2006, at 5:06 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

I don't know Marc personally, but I strongly suspect it's just a matter of presentation and perception...I don't think the guy actually intends to be crappy.

Many people, especially net-newbies, type into an email composition window without thinking of how things are going to be taken on the other end. Even after communicating via email for 20+ years, I am guilty of this myself sometimes...so I can easily envision a less-net-experienced person (no offense Marc) easily falling into this trap.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70179-0.html?tw=wn_index_2

Electronic communication between strangers is often a disaster. I work on multi-institutional international projects and although we communicate by email, chat, telephone and even video there's no substitute for meeting in the flesh. It's often the only way to really calibrate a person's attitude. After enough real meetings with someone you have some chance of understanding them in the virtual ones (but misunderstandings will still crop up).

Politeness surely helps, although I know some people whose attempts at politeness in email always seem sarcastic.

jpd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx