Re: gEDA-user: Re: LED 100 != 5mm LED ?

[snip]
> ...   (I also realize that footprint library
>maintenance is hard work, and I'm not volunteering.)

	So the problems continue...

	Maintaining symbol or footprint libraries is hard, painful,
error-prone, and no matter what is done sooner or later somebody's
finger will be cooked on an inproperly wired chip, because somebody
(developer or end user) made perhaps a valid but incorrect assumption.

	I've been batting around the idea in my head that I might take
a _small_ subset of the existing symbols (resistors, caps, basic logic
gates, etc..,, clean them up and make them all "light") and create an
"official and tiny" maintained symbol library that will be easier to
maintain (there won't be much in these symbols; maybe make them more
PCB friendly).  The rest of the symbols will get banished to a "contrib"
symbol package.

	I'm still on the fence if I want to do this, since some of
the symbols in the library are actually quite respectable (due to the
hard work of several developers).  This idea has been discussed several
times at Freedog meetings with mixed reception.

								-Ales