Re: gEDA-user: vhdl and gschem

On Feb 16, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Ostheller, Joel A. wrote:

Yes. Pick yourself up a copy of Peter Ashenden's "The Designer's guide
to VHDL". Additionally you may want to get a copy of the IEEE VHDL LRM.

There is no reason to use schematic capture packages to do Verilog or
VHDL. Some have claimed that using it to import your VHDL/Verilog such
that it auto-generates a system block diagram is an acceptable use... I
usually will give them that, but not much more.

I totally agree. Skip schemtics entirely when doing FPGA designs.

My FPGA testbenches include bus-functional models of everything the FPGA talks to. To support this, I use either vendor-supplied models (memories and such) or I write them myself. (PLX wanted me to give them my Verilog models of their 9030 and 9656 chips, so my company said, "you'll need to pay us..." and that ended that discussion quite quickly.) The microcontroller or whatever talks to the FPGA, which does something interesting, and interesting outputs result, which are compared to an expected result.

The automatic block diagram is interesting, if only to put on a slide for a design review, but I'd argue that you should have your block diagram draw BEFORE you start coding ...

-a