Re: gEDA-user: Help - please

Harold D. Skank wrote:
People,

I need some help here.  I'm trying to work with _LARGE_ symbols and
footprints.  In the smaller case, over 1100 pins and in the larger case
over 1700 pins.  In order to make the information more readable, I have
broken the symbols into slots, 4 in the smaller case and 6 in the larger
case.  Since none of the slots within a symbol share any common pins, I
have deleted the slotdef attribute from the symbols.  I have included
slotnum and slot.

I should warn here that most of my work so far has been with the smaller
symbols/footprint, but in the limited testing on the larger one I have
seen the same problems.

In particular, each symbol slot has approximately 50 GND connections
(again I emphasize none of these connections are shared between slots).
In the 1100 pin case, this makes about 200 GND connections total.

To run gsch2pcb I have created a project1 file in which I can tell the
system which schematic pages to process (1 symbol slot per page).  If I
process only 1 or 2 pages, i.e. 1 or 2 slots, the system functions
correctly and I can enter PCB and pull up the footprint and view the
associated netlist.  When I add a 3rd slot the gsch2pcb program
generates an error message and the generated netlist contains the GND
netname, but has no associated connection list.

I have experimented with this process, and it appears to work properly
for any 2 slots, and fails anytime there are 3 or more slots.

Is there any possibility that I am exceeding an array bound (in either
gsch2pcb or gnetlist) which would produce this problem, and more
important, how do I resolve the issue?

Can you send me a test case that I can run? It is quite possible that there is some bound in there although from what you describe it is is gnetlist and probably the gnet-PCB.scm file. I'm thinking it should be easy (I hope). The good news is gnet-PCB.scm is very short.

If you can just send the portion which has the big chip with lots and lots of ground connections, that would be great.

Offlist is fine if you'd rather not post here.

-Dan