Re: gEDA-user: Why use gEDA?

al davis wrote:
On Sunday 25 February 2007 12:19, Jorge Ernesto Guevara Cuenca wrote:

And i do a question, is gEDA an proper software to use during
the formation academical  process? I think yes that, this can
be used for that.

What is the biggest difference between education now and when I was an undergrad student? (1968-1972)...

When I was a student we had source for our software and schematics for our hardware.

Is software you can't study proper software for education?

I go a step farther ... is equipment you can't study proper equipment for education?

and for anyone who thinks geda and gnucap aren't "point and click" enough for use in school, here is my answer to that. As a practicing engineer I use high $ simulation tools every day. Sometimes it is true that I use a fully integrated graphics environment. However, on most of my simulations of any significance, there is quite a bit of coding required and I can't count how many times I've need to go poking around in the netlist for one reason or another. Unfortunately one common reason is to figure out what new bug the tools have inflicted on me today. Another is accessing simulator features that the "integrated" environment doesn't actually support.

So, I think gnucap with hand creating a netlist is actually an excellent way to get started.

-Dan