gEDA-user: Re: How to maybe get your favorite misfeatures fixed (was: Re: PCB question)

al davis wrote:
> On Monday 26 February 2007 21:46, Ales Hvezda wrote:
>> 3) Hire a developer.  I'm sure there are several developers
>> here who are willing to fix your favorite pet peeve.  But
>> this, of course, won't be cheap, as everybody's free time is
>> extremely valuable.
>
> Financing the development of a project is a good way to push it
> in the direction you want it to go.  If there is money attached
> to a particular issue, I put the others aside and do that one
> immediately.  When there is no money involved, I do what is
> important to me and to those who I consider to be the most
> important users.

We need to find a way to smooth this process. I suspect that there
are a lot of users willing to pay a few hundred dollars to get a
particular feature fixed/implemented, but the overhead of negotiating
a typical consulting contract would overrun the benefit. When tasks
pass the $1000 range, typical one-on-one contracting arrangements
make sense, but I would like to see a smooth way for smaller
tasks to get funding. Or even for several people to contribute
money over time for a task.

Maybe we need to hire someone to implement the appropriate e-commerce
site;-)

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,