Re: gEDA-user: finding shorts with gschem

On Feb 4, 2008 6:44 PM, David Griffith <dgriffi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > > This created an interesting problem with power/vdd-1.sym which has
> > > "net=Vdd:1". These statements are not case-insensitive.
> >
> > If you are using the vdd-1.sym symbol in your design, then this
> > attribute is creating a global net called Vdd, whether you want it or
> > not.   If you want this, that's fine.  If not, then you need to change
> > the name of the net to your desired netname, e.g. "net=mynetname:1".
>
> Right, but there was the bizarre effect of some object containing
> net=Vcc:? and net=Vdd:? somewhere, but disappearing when the Vcc and Vdd
> symbols were not used.  That made me suspect there's a problem in the
> interpretation of the symbol files, not in the symbols themselves.

The problem is likely to be symbol files that contain embedded power
nets. Unless you are doing a large digital board you may want to use symbols
that do not contain embedded power nets.

I use symbols without the embedded power nets and then place a separate
power symbol. I have a script that removes embedded power nets and creates
power symbols. See http://www.luciani.org/geda/util/util-index.html

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org